Tuesday, April 6, 2010

In Bangalore

I am in the middle of a week long India trip, and am writing this at a little photocopying/internet browsing outlet (Rs. 10 only for 30 minutes) near my parents' home in Malleswaram.

Four days into my trip, I have ticked off the must dos (pani puri at Gangotri, some book and hindi movie DVD purchases, a bit of shopping for the kids, etc). Today we are off to visit some relatives, and will round off the day with dinner at a highly recommended restaurant with parents and mum in law.

The highlight of this Bangalore trip has been the newly built Mantri Square mall (claims to be India's largest mall - hmm...to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think) close to home in Malleswaram. It is a bit of a culture shock to see this new hip face of old Bangalore. It has most of the happening names in Indian retailing: Lifestyle, Shoppers Stop, an exclusive Tissot store, Taco Bell (I didn't know this existed here), Pantaloons, etc. Going by the crowds, the local residents seem to love it. Given the price tags, I am not sure how many people actually enter the place with an aim to buy, but at least it's a great place to spend a couple of hours on a hot summer afternoon.

Tomorrow, I am off to Mumbai to spend a day there, before getting back to Sydney on Friday night.

*****************************
I managed to catch up on a bit of recent Oscar fare on the flight to India: Hurt Locker, Blind Side, Up in the Air, and It's Complicated. Enjoyed Blind Side - sucker for predictable cinema about human goodness that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment