Thursday, October 22, 2009

Many hometowns

We returned from our India trip last week. It was brilliantly hectic. Over three weeks we travelled 6 places. Delhi, Jaipur, Bangalore, Mysore, Kabini (Nagarhole National Park) and Chennai.

India did not disappoint. The traffic, pollution, crowds and noise were as bad as ever. And I loved it as much as ever.

Not being rooted to any particular city in India, it has always been a bit of a challenge to nominate one place as a hometown. My parents having settled in Bangalore in 1991, it became my "permanent address" and since then officially my hometown. Bangalore beats any other major Indian city hands down on the climate factor. However not having spent my formative years there has meant that my affinity for the city is probably not as strong as a true local.

I would not choose to live in Delhi for reasons of serious cultural wavelength mismatch with its typical inhabitants. But there is a certain something about its iconic landmarks (especially the area around India Gate), wonderful schooltime memories and old friendships which combine to make being in that city a real feel good experience. Also, my mother in law lives there and she is a superb host.

Chennai is nice for its sedate pace, and generally pleasant people (except for autodrivers). People whinge about the climate, but it is only a shade worse than other cities like Mumbai and arguably better than Delhi in summer. Winter is ok. My lack of comfort in the local language though (which doesn't seem that much of a handicap in Bangalore) will probably prevent me from ever adopting Chennai as my hometown.

Mumbai is probably the city I am culturally most in sync with. I like it's live and let live attitude, and work ethic. It is a city of opportunity, where millions run the rat race every day to earn their living. They pick themselves up and hit the road day after day, come high water or terrorist attack. But there is a certain desperation to this lifestyle, and why would anyone choose to be a rat if he/she had a choice?

Kolkata - The city where I have spent the most time. 11 years, to the age of 14. But it seems a distant memory now. I went back there to do my MBA and still had a great fondness for the city. But the fondness was like the affection for an old uncle, whom one may want to meet every few years, to relive memories and listen to wonderful stories, but not really want to stay with for too long. The world is moving on and we have only so much time for nostalgia.

I was born in Hyderabad, and that is where I spent some truly memorable summer vacations in my childhood. My last surviving grandparent lived there and she passed away a few years back. Nothing draws me there now.

1 comment:

  1. I remember you in Dehli -- at school. What a great time.

    Our trip to India next year will be so strange -- we have not been back since Avva died. We have no "hometown" India to go to. It makes me so sad, as my best memories are in that house -- and this time we will go as tourists and stay in hotels. A very, very difference, indeed.

    But yes, I did love Bangalore. And I'd LOVE to go to Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete